<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d17488436\x26blogName\x3dWhere+is+AB?\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wheresab.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_GB\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wheresab.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d5435816068019163726', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I speak too quickly


Every so often, I get to take central in-service courses. Owing to a cancellation, I have two in a row this week. Most unusual, as the courses are normally taken by Masterclass, but sometimes I have to take them as either I can’t free anyone from school to take them, or there is not the skill level to take them hence the role of tutor falling to me. I don’t mean this as a criticism of Masterclass in any way – rather it is a financial observation on how some schools have spent their devolved budget.

Today was a real introductory course, which I must admit I was very reluctant to put on the calendar. Ask the initiated about ‘Using a digital still camera’, and they would wonder what was covered after the first 30 minutes in a day long course. Last year, I wrote one course covering using a camera and editing images, but it proved far too much for the one day, so this session John wished it to be split. At the time I was quite concerned, as whilst I could easily imagine a day spent editing images, I couldn’t imagine spending a day just learning how to use a camera.

Glad to say that I was wrong.

Using technology all comes down to confidence.

By having a day to look at something relatively simple meant that all those present left comfortable and confident in their knowledge. The best bit of the day I think was looking at curricular application of using a digital camera with the participants. Without this focus, the day would have actually been irrelevant. Of course ‘Comic Life’ was a great help here, but even simple things like sequencing, odd-one-out, and storyboarding make using a camera directly relevant to our teaching.

The feedback was good, so the people there seemed to enjoy it and said they found it useful. I speak too quickly though – no-one said this in evaluation sheets, but I am really aware of it.
Tomorrow is Dreamweaver. I have never been as concerned about a course as I am about this one. I’m not sure if schools realise what a colossal commitment having a website actually is, and I worry about it being another ‘tick box’ for Head Teachers, but I’m sure I’ll have more to say about this tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home