<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d17488436\x26blogName\x3dWhere+is+AB?\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wheresab.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_GB\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wheresab.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d5435816068019163726', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Dell goes chunky?


This is a subject close to my heart, as I am fascinated by the recent form factor developments. Technology in school has to be affordable, but it also has to be practical. I am convinced that we have seen the last of laptops as the 'device of choice', as the advances in smaller devices such as UMPCs and 3G phones makes me constantly ask the question of 'what exactly do I use a device for' .

I've been using a Samsung Q1 for a while now, and I must say that I think it is brilliant. The only problems seem to be the cost and the battery life.

How pleased I was to read on Miguel Guhlin blog about the development Dell etc have been involved in. He has also podcast about it, but I haven't listened yet. To find out more, click here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Miguel said...

Thanks for dropping by, Andrew!

Miguel

11:27 pm  
Anonymous Andy Watson said...

One of the major issues for laptop replacement is having a decent input device - usually a keyboard. While a mobile phone is good for receiving info and sending short essages, I wouldn't want to use it to write anything of any length.
What's the QI keyboard like? I had a look at the ads when it first appeared but was dismayed by the cost.

10:50 pm  
Blogger ab said...

I agree about inputting on a phone Andy - it would be too uncomfortable for long text input. I wonder what our young people would say about that though?

The Q1 has a number of input methods. I have been using it for some time now, and when it arrived, I was glad to see it came with a separate keyboard! In reality though, I haven't used it at all. The handwriting recognition in XP Tablet 2005 edition is much better than it was before, and the dialkeys are interesting to play with if you are good at touch typing. The Q1 also has speech recognition of course, which is brilliant too. I will admit, there are times when you are itching for a keyboard, but I wonder if that is more habit than necessity?

The price will inevitably come down though - especially if more players such as Dell join this sector of the market.

I know I seem to say this early on about most devices I try out, but I genuinely won't be buying another laptop. The screen size of the Q1 is spot on, I think I would prefer a higher resolution though?

8:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home