<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d17488436\x26blogName\x3dWhere+is+AB?\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wheresab.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_GB\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wheresab.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d5435816068019163726', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Sunday, September 10, 2006

I've still not reached 118


With just a few weeks left now until SETT, I don't think I'm going to make it.

After the last scotedublogs meetup we had at eLive, I set myself a wee challenge - to convince 118 people in education to start a blog. Why 118? Well, there are 118 days inbetween the last meetup and the next one 'teachmeet06'

I started out really slowly, and then largely forgot about it over the holiday period, but came back to it recently. I had a couple of tricks up my sleeve that would net me quite a few in my counter, as I knew before the school holidays that out Mentors and our Probationers would all be set up with blogs, but this would still leave me short of my target.

As it stands today, I have still to convince 35 people. To some of you, that may not be many at all, but I don't think I'm going to make it. I'll keep trying though.

This has got me thinking about why I was doing it. It was just for fun, but there is a serious side to it. I am completely convinced of the merits of people in education keeping blogs. I've said this before, but if I could convince everyone that does the same job as me in Scotland to keep a blog, and then I subscribed to it, then I would be much better at my job. Why? Because I would have access to all of their research and findings, which would undoubtedly make me better at what I do.

It's not about achieveing a tally though. many of the people on the list have given up their blog, or post rarely. Most of the probationers are yet to make use of their blogs. So there is little point in acheiveing a number, unless they find it a worthwhile process.

There is some good news in all of this. Our Glow mentors are beginning to see the benefits of sharing their activities online. Some of our QIO (Quality Improvement Officers) have begun to see the benefits of using blogging. Matthew Boyle in particular was so taken with it as a communication tool, that he wanted all of our probationers to keep a blog over the coming session. Many of them will need support in this, and I'm sure many may not be interested in doing so (at the moment, but I am merciless in my campaigning! :-)) - what a brilliant tool for reflection though - imagine sharing how a lesson went with friends a colleagues at a time and place of their choosing - wouldn't it be great if the kids themselves would comment and give you their thoughts on how it went? What would they suggest to improve a lesson?

1 Comments:

Blogger Ewan McIntosh said...

I think you're doing pretty damned well as it is. If only other IT Officers were quite so vehiment.

5:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home